The Foundation Open Society – Macedonia together with its partners Education Support Center Dendo Vas and Foundation for Educational and Cultural Initiatives “Step by Step” announces an open call for of about 30 Roma community support assistants in Skopje, Gostivar, Kumanovo, Prilep, Delčevo, Veles, Tetovo, Negotino, Resen, Štip, Bitola, Kočani, Debar and Kičevo. The call is published within the project REGULARLY ATTENDING CLASSES: Action for Inclusion of Roma in Elementary Education funded by the European Union. The project aims to provide scholarships for inclusion of as many Roma children as possible in primary education and to motivate them to attend classes regularly and to enrol in the next grades, as well as to provide support to schools to transform classrooms into a more inclusive environment for learning where diversity is respected and where all children feel welcome and are equally stimulated to succeed. The duration of the project is until October 2022. More information can be found at the following link.
Tasks and responsibilities of the assistants
The project provides support to the Roma community by engaging assistants who will work closely with Roma families and schools in identifying children outside the education system, enrolling them in school, regularly attending classes and successfully transitioning to the next grades, as well as actively participating in an educational campaign for the benefits of education. In particular, assistants:
- will attend training where the assistants’ responsibilities/activities, their implementation guidelines and reporting forms will be presented in detail;
- will help identify children outside the education system, refer parents to existing procedures and requirements, and assist them in completing school enrollment applications;
- will work closely with the families of a dozen first-graders who received the scholarship, record their attendance at school and transition to the next grade and inform the project team;
- are obliged to make 12 visits to the child’s family/school throughout the project;
- will participate in the implementation of an educational campaign in the Roma community and the organization of 20 educational meetings with local institutions and parents;
- will attend 3 coordination meetings to exchange experiences and lessons learned with other assistants;
- will submit monthly narrative reports and keep track of working hours and activities performed in the current month;
- will exchange information with the Dendo project team and keep them up to date on current activities, emerging situations or challenges;
The optimal number of children/families per assistant is 10. From February to September 2020, assistants are expected to have active engagement of approximately 50 days (part-time). In February, March, May, June and September 2020 the activities will have the highest intensity. The contract will be valid until 30 September 2020, with the possibility of continuing the engagement in the second and third project years. The amount of the fee will depend on the number of children/families. Hence, if the assistant cooperates with 10 children/families, it is envisaged to be paid a monthly fee of an average of 130 euros (gross).
The opportunity to apply have:
- persons with minimum secondary education who are citizens of the Republic of North Macedonia;
- people who know how to work on a computer (Word and Excel).
- certificate for graduation or higher education diploma;
- CV – maximum of 2 pages
Preference will be given to:
- activists, representatives of the civil sector or the Roma community who have experience in educational projects or inclusion of the Roma community;
- persons who are familiar with the Romani language.
—————————————————15 January 2020